Thursday, February 21, 2013

Wabi Sabi

I found a blog yesterday that finally got me excited to re-start blogging myself. It's a beautiful blog where she shares her life with her husband and two sweeties. Ah naturel. Earthy, and positive she focus's on the goodness. I needed to find that. All to often I find jer and I going through the motions, managing our wee ones but not taking the time to discover them. This society we live in is so unbelievably fast paced. It's cogs don't stop. But I can. I can say no to many things that don't beautify, simplify, or creatively inspire me. It's my family members that need converting. Ha! I always dream of that life. You know the one on the farm in Nova Scotia, where I raise sheep and spin my own yarn and my children's wardrobe consists purely of knits woven from wool, the very wool that came from our sheep of course. And we will live in an old rambling Victorian home on the coast and when we sit down to dinner each night the direction of our dinning room will be just so that when the sunsets it will be visible by all. And then it dawned on me. I can tweak my dream to fit my surroundings now. We live a stones throw from a beautiful waterway where the sun sets so beautifully, and although we cannot enjoy it every night from our dinning table we certainly can take a stroll after dinner and grab an ice cream. I may not have sheep to raise for wool, but I can sew, and make my own laundry soap, and beeswax candles. All of which bring me pleasure. More and more I find myself returning to the idea of the simple life. Where tv only consists of downton Abby and call the midwife. Where libraries invade Friday evenings, and games nights become a family tradition. Where neighbors invite one another over for dinner once a week, not once a year, and where I see beauty in the broken. Pretty, in the imperfect. Wabi sabi. With small children its so easy to turn into a hamster riding the wheel of life. Never stepping outside your cage to be re-inspired. So easy to become downtrodden in parenting. Angered so quickly and regretting later. I suppose this blog of mine which has journey'd along with me since I became a mum, has been re-invented. I want to remember the beauty of these fleeting years, the perfection that lay in the imperfection of our lives. To simply see the positive. The sweet words. The perfectly polished manners of my 2.5 year old daughter. The cute and mischievous grin of my 6 year old son. The smiles oh Lordy the smiles and giggle fits that erupt on the sweet face of my 6 month old baby boy. How he is such a delight all day everyday through it all. To see my eldest boy as still a small child in the big world. How little he was yesterday lined up with his classmates holding their booster seats off to the art gallery. How sweet his voice is when he chooses to sing. How my baby girl can recite over twenty different songs, and sweetly asks whatcha gonna sing mommy? No not that one (a choir song) hmmmm how bout bananaphone! This will not happen daily or even weekly at first but just taking the time to count my beautiful blessings will bless me in return

No comments: